Smithers Brewery, whose office was at 201 Western Road, had been here and in North Street, since the 1840s. Standing back from the road was a cottage with a front garden, No. 202, in which lived the Brewery Manager. No. 203, Bryant and Smiths, was later acquired by Johnson’s, the Dyers, and in the large front room on the first floor, Friese-Greene later exhibited some of his early cinematograph films. Beyond Smithers premises, at No. 200, was a dairy. The façade of this building can be seen unchanged in much later photographs. Smither’s Brewery was demolished in 1923, for the building of the Arcade and all the other premises went in 1934/35, when Western Road was widened.

Image Reference: JG_19_104.tif
Date: c.1890
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 154x173
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Montpelier and Clifton Hill Association
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society