This narrow passage, only 7 feet wide, was to be found in Upper Bedford Street, between Bedford Buildings and Crescent Cottages. A squalid row of about a dozen slum houses, it was entered only from Upper Bedford Street, the other end being blocked by a high wall. Facing north, towards Bedford Buildings, no sunshine ever lit up their dingy windows. The photographs are dated March 1912, and the houses were condemned soon afterwards. The 1914-18 war gave them a temporary reprieve and they were still occupied until well into the 1920s. They were demolished in 1925 as part of the Corporation first post-war slum clearance. This view from the east looks towards Upper Bedford Street.

Image Reference: JG_22_186.tif
Date: 1912
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 95x136
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Brighton Town Press
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society