This was the name given to a number of narrow streets hemmed together between Cheapside and Trafalgar Street. In addition to Blackman Street itself, it included Wood Street, Whitecross Street, Redcross Street and parts of Station Street and Pelham Street. These were mean streets, built with the coming of the railway and dating from the 1840s and 50s. They were worn out years ago but were not bad enough to be included in slum clearances of the 1930s. In 1957 it was decided to clear this area for redevelopment, but the project aroused a great deal of opposition from landlords and the owners of small businesses. In December, 1959, a Ministry of Housing public enquiry was held, as a result of which the minister upheld the Corporation’s proposals to acquire the properties for education and industrial purposes. This photographs, taken on 26 July 1959, shows Wood Street. Since then the Corporation has bought most of the houses, the tenants moved out, and the windows boarded up, but wholesale demolition has yet to begin.

Image Reference: JG_25_237.tif
Date: 1959
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 157x106
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Gavin Henderson in memory of his father, Magnus Reginald 'Jock' Henderson
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society