These houses, 33 - 37 were probably the earliest to be built in Ivory Place as they were graced with fairly long front gardens. Photographed on 21 November 1956, they are still standing, boarded up and ready for demolition – February 1960. Although slum houses on the west side were cleared in the 1930s, the east side was left as it was for many years afterwards. Not until the 1950s did Brighton Corporation decide on the further clearance, complementary to the Richmond Street – Albion Hill redevelopment scheme.

Image Reference: JG_27_038.tif
Date: 1956
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 155x111
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Lavander Jones and Duncan McNeill
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society