Not very far away from the site of the old windmill stood these buildings, 53, Dyke Road. They ran back between Bath Street and Compton Avenue and were originally known as Montpelier Mews, a long range of stabling, dating probably from about 1850. In 1919 Mr P Tuberville Smith opened a motor school and garage here many of the old stables being converted into lock-ups. About 1927 the premises were reconstructed internally and the present buildings fronting Dyke Road, consisted of flats on the upper floors, were erected. Due to renumbering the address is now 76/80, Dyke Road.

Image Reference: JG_31_035.tif
Date: 1920s
Image Details: Post Card
Size of Original: 128x78
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by Frances and Martin Lindsay-Hills
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society