This photograph of Tongdean Lane dates from about 1925. At this period it was well outside the Brighton Borough boundaries and came under Steyning Borough council. Consequently land was very cheap and this accounts for the very long gardens of some of the original houses. The house on the extreme right was the first to be built, in 1911. Valley Drive was then known as Reynolds Avenue and consisted of just a few houses at the lower end. Withdean Stadium was then just a football field used by Brighton Students Association.

Image Reference: JG_34_184.tif
Date: 1925
Image Details: Post card
Size of Original: 132x82
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Preston and Old Patcham Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society