WESTERN ROAD AND WESTERN TERRACE
Priory Lodge, originally known as the Gothic House, was built in the early 1820s. Although the entrance doorway was in Western Road, the house formed part of Western Terrace and was, for many years, in private occupation. In later years professional men used it and in 1880 a further gothic extension was made by Mr WH Stevens of Crouch, Stevens & Co., who occupied the adjoining premises as Auctioneers and House Agents. The ground floor was first used as a shop in 1898, by Mr Sharman, a draper and finally in 1920, the property, with several others adjoining was acquired by Plummer Roddis Ltd. Since then the whole of the lower storey has been cut away to form a shop front with an extension eastwards covering the whole site of the garden.
The photograph probably dates from about 1890, but one cannot be more exact.
Image Reference: JG_19_013.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 162x209
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Montpelier and Clifton Hill Association
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society