Early in 1947 Brighton Corporation took steps to purchase compulsorily the 7 1/2-acre Sylvan Hall Estate at the junction of Ditchling Road and the Upper Lewes Road. At that time four large Victorian Houses stood there in extensive grounds. These were respectively Sylvan Hall, Hill Lodge, Woodfield Lodge and 28, Ditchling Road. As these old houses were removed, blocks of two and three storey flats were erected, and the first of these were occupied early in 1951.
SYLVAN HALL : Approached by a long drive leading up from the lodge and entrance in Upper Lewes Road. At the time of the photograph the house had been converted for use as Corporation flats prior to eventual demolition. Photographed on 14 March 1952.

Image Reference: JG_20_060.tif
Date: 1952
Image Details: Original monochrome image
Size of Original: 106x63
Place: Brighton
Additional Information: No comment

The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by a number of Individual Donors
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society