THE GRAND CONCERT HALL, WEST STREET
These are photographs [and following] of the building that was erected on the site of Mr Thrales’s house (see previous page) after its removal in 1866. It was opened in 1867 with a series of Choral and Orchestra Concerts. In 1882 it was almost completely destroyed by fire following an explosion of gas the damage being estimated at £30,000. For ten years it remained in ruins but in 1892 it again opened as a roller skating rink, being used later for concerts and early cinematography shows. Probably its heyday was when it was Sherry’s dance Hall, for about 30 years from 1919. During this period it was thronged nightly with enthusiastic ballroom dancers and most of the leading London dance bands played here. For the last 15 years of its life it had been used as an amusement arcade.
In 1968 the building was acquired by Entam Ltd. For redevelopment involving complete reconstruction. As part of this the front and rear facades will be demolished and the external appearance will completely change.
Image Reference: JG_7_015.tif
Image Details: Original monochrome print
Size of Original: 110x140
Additional Information: No comment
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Brighton Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society