This must be one of the few existing photographs of Mrs Thrale’s house, 76 West Street. The house was purchased by Henry Thrale in October 1767, and often visited by Dr. Samuel Johnson, between 1767, and 1782. The hoarding advertises its impending removal, the house being demolished in 1866 and replaced by the Grand Concert Hall, now the Roller Skating Rink. One of the seven posts can still be seen to this day. The building to the left, now occupied by the Gas Board, was then the largest private house in the street.
Image Reference: JG_7_013.tif
Image Details: Copy
Size of Original: 204x134
Additional Information: Henry Thrale was a Brewer and MP for Southwark in 1781.
The digitisation of this Volume was sponsored by The Brighton Society
This image is copyright and is made available for personal study only. Commercial reproduction in any media is prohibited without written authorisation.
High resolution images for commercial use are available. Please contact The Regency Society